- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 3 medium carrots scraped and sliced
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- 750g (1½ lb) stewing beef, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2½ cm (1 inch) cubes
- 400g (14oz) can tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- ½ cup beef stock
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bouquet garni
- 40g (1.5oz) butter
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 6 thick slices of French bread
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion, carrots and celery
and fry until they are lightly browned. Transfer to the stoneware
pot, draining well.
- Add the beef to the frying pan and brown on all sides. Transfer
to the stoneware pot.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and salt and pepper to taste to the
frying pan and bring to the boil. Pour into the stoneware pot and
add the bouquet garni.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8-10 hours or High for 4-5 hours.
- To make the topping, cream together the butter and herbs and
spread on one side of each piece of bread.
- Thirty minutes before the cooking time is completed, remove the bouquet garni. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Press the bread, buttered side up, into the liquid. (If your slow cooker has a removable stoneware pot the bread can be crisped before serving by placing under a hot grill for a few minutes.)