- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 (8 g) package active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 ½ cups bread flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Pour 1/2 cup of water into crock pot and preheat the slow cooker/crock pot on High with the lid on.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of the lukewarm water or milk with the sugar and set in a warm - not hot - place.
- Put the flour in a large bowl and sprinkle with the salt.
- Make a well in the centre.
- When the yeast is bubbly, pour the rest of the water or milk, the yeast mixture, and the oil into the well.
- Stir with your fingers (I use a soup spoon) until all the flour has been absorbed.
- Grease a deep metal or glass bowl and place the bread in it. (You can use a coffee can, a casserole dish or a loaf pan, whatever will fit inside your crockpot).
- Brush milk with a pastry brush over the top of the bread.
- Cover loosely with a plate and let stand for 5 minutes in a warm place.
- Place on a trivet in the slow cooker, cover the cooker, and bake on High for 2 to 3 hours.
20 February 2012
Slow Cooker White Bread